Want to help support the IGM? Visit our Patreon page!
How Indie Devs Can Build Media Relationships
When it comes to reaching out to the media, forming relationships is absolutely essential. Whether or not you’re able to hire a PR firm, not building relationships and understanding how your public image can impact others can make getting media coverage a greater challenge. Thankfully, Chris Compendio shares how they have established relationships with indie devs and relation figures, providing an insider’s perspective on the best ways to build relationships with the media.
Q?Box Round Answers!
The Q?Box round is a series of random questions so you can get to know a little bit more about our guest.
1)Biggest gaming pet peeve?
sequences in video games where the story requires the playable character to be moving slowly.
2) Favorite cartoon growing up as a kid?
Justice League Unlimited on Cartoon Network
3) Final Fantasy or Zelda?
Far too familiar with Zelda and find it more accessible.
4) If you could be an animal, what would it be?
A deer; adorable, but potentially dangerous if you get too close.
5) What game are you playing now?
Generally will play indie games, but currently digging into The Last of Us Part II.
Key Takeaways to Consider with a PR campaign
- Find the right media outlets that will “get” or understand your project.
- Remain professional but also personable when reacting out to and interacting with media figures.
- Take advantage of opportunities such as conventions to really stand out to press; it’s a lot different when you have a physical presence.
- Utilize social media to build publicity and excitement, potentially attracting attention from media figures on Twitter.
- LinkedIn is a very underrated resource and platform for networking in games development and games press.