Want to help support the IGM? Visit our Patreon page!Click here to listen on your preferred channel!
Episode Name:How Indie Devs Can Navigate the Publishing Landscape
Episode Description:Eventually, the game you’re making will be released. But before you get there, you need to make some important decisions to help clarify your vision, understand what you need and areas you should focus on regardless if you plan to self-publish or partner with a publisher. That’s why Bob Mowery of Neowiz Games is here today to share how to navigate the publishing landscape so you can be on top of your game as you get ready to launch.
Q?Box Round Answers!The Q?Box round is a series of random questions so you can get to know a little bit more about our guest.
1)Star Trek or Star Wars?The answer has usually been Star Wars, but the more he thinks about it, Star Trek has more of a lasting impression.
2) Zoo or Aquarium?Zoo
3) Early Bird or Night Owl?Night Owl.
4) If you could be an animal, what would it be?A giant squid.
5) What’s your favorite movie?Either Aliens or Shawshank Redemption depending on the day you ask him. (Today was Aliens).
6) What game are you playing now?Zelda BOTW, Last of Us Part II and on mobile, Brave Nine and a few others.
Key Takeaways to consider when getting ready to publish.
- Take the time to consider all the things it takes to ship a game beyond making the game itself.
- Do a team inventory. Be very aware of your strengths and weaknesses and passions.
- Decide what you want to tackle yourselves and what you would like a partner to do for you.
- Prepare your materials (financial and feature roadmaps, pitch deck, demo build if possible).
- Reach out to potential partners, do online conferences, and get the word out that you are looking for publishing assistance and are ready to talk.